According to a report by the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Communications, Information Technology into the uptake of digital television in Australia lack of certainty regarding analogue switch-off is a key failure in the drive to digital TV take-up.
The key recommendations include:
- Switch off analogue television broadcasting nationwide on 1 January 2010.
- Lift multichannelling programming restrictions for the
national broadcasters as soon as possible and no later than 1 January
- Lift multichannelling restrictions for commercial broadcasters on 1 January 2008.
- The current minimum High Definition broadcasting quota for free-to-air networks will be maintained until 1 January 2011.
- The establishment of a testing and conformance centre for
digital television equipment, with the provision of A$1 million as seed
funding in the first year.
- The establishment of a mandatory labelling scheme that will accurately identify television and digital reception products.
Print This Post
Posted 4th August 2007 by David Jacobson in Web/Tech